Life Guidance Summary
I was re-reading the (worth a pass through) and wanted to distill into a list all of my scant practical advice.
(Note: I'm not necessarily the best practitioner of this advice - some of it's been learned the hard way.)
- Maximize income
- Minimize cost
- Maximize your investments and save
- Keep credit Good or better
- Purchase only the best products
- Be technical*
- Do math*
- Read philosophy*
- Learn a widely-used second language
- Learn how to make and use practical things
- Get a Masters degree or higher
- Challenge all dogmas
- Avoid drugs
- Take your vitamins
- Prefer boiled and filtered water
- Become a vegetarian
- Be clean and organized
- Don’t commit crimes
- Be kind and helpful to everyone by default
- Be ferocious in defense
- Be rational*
- Be reasonable more so than rational
- Consider the worst
Partners and Romance
- Don't have kids [unless you're well prepared]
- Don’t acquire unnecessary pets
- Get married to a good partner
- Have good sex and enjoy romance
- Don’t travel unnecessarily
Family and Friends
- Keep good relations with your family
- Keep trustworthy lifelong friends
- Develop a good sense of humor
i. Technical: be guided by accuracy, parsimony, correctness, specificity, organization, and detail.
ii. Math: the fields and general activities encompassing Logic, Set Theory, Abstract Algebra, Proof Theory, and so on.
iii. Philosophy: meaning academic philosophy - German, Greek, British, French, Buddhist, Theology, Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Math, etc.
iv. Rational: be guided by best choices, data, and evidence - willing to alter one's beliefs in light of evidence - the willingness and ability to admit error.