Professional Test Tracking
Blog post describing the pitfalls and journey of software engineering hiring/applications.
Get a realistic sense about what expectations are, time commitment expected, etc:
I would strongly encourage a read through the above articles/documents.
Prior to COVID-19, the job market was one of the hottest out there:
Today (5.20.2020), the job market has soured considerably (even in tech):
Read about .
- Only includes Classes, Badges, Assessments, Quizzes, Certifications taken since 2019 whose outcomes can be verified. (With the exception of one quiz noted below.)
- Allowed retakes that succeeded count as success.
- Excludes single algorithm HackerRank or CodeSignal completions or competitions (so 200+ algorithm challenges, 2-0 head-to-head victories, and the like are excluded).
- Excludes professional game/recreational challenges, achievements, or awards (so, 500 or so Apple, Steam, etc. achievements excluded).
- Does not include language quizzes (Duolingo, Drops, etc.).
Overall: 193/205 = 94.14%
Interviews: 10/14 = 71.42%
- Hired.com x 4 (assessments -> badges)
- HackerRank x 3 (assessments -> badges)
- LinkedIn x 7 (quizzes -> badges)
- Coursera x 150 (quizzes, courses -> certifications)
- Triplebyte x 4 (assessments, quizzes -> membership) (1st step in two categories - taken twice after platform changes)
- MS Learn x 13 (quizzes -> badges)
- W3Schools x 4 (quizzes) (not full certifications yet)
- NS8 x 1 (take home exam) (advanced to final round, possible hiring freeze)
- Amount x 2 (advanced to final round - hired)
- Catalytic x 2 (take home exam and tests)
- Aquent x 2 (assessments, CodeSignal) (shortlisted to last round, hiring freeze)
- GitHub x 1 (take home exam) (interviewed twice, advanced to final round)
- Postmates x 1 (interrupted during interview exam, also possible hiring freeze)
- Toptal x 1 (missed advancing by a narrow margin, interview exam, invited to retest)
- CodeSignal x 1 (the company itself, withdrew, also possibility of configuration issue, interview exam)
- Triplebyte x 3 (passed in upper percentages but they were not excellent scores so I'm counting these as failures since they were below my target, also withdrew from a test in early 2020 1/2 through, 1 interview exam)
- LinkedIn x 3 (surprisingly challenging, lots of esoteric factoids, does not include early exploration with non-software assessments)
- HackerRank x 2 (also interrupted during 1 assessment)
Primarily applying to the following roles:
Sample job descriptions are included in the links below. Most roles have 200+ applicants.
- Software Development Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer in Test
- Programmer Writer
- Technical Writer
- Documentation Engineer
Technical Writers and Programmer Writers at Big Tech companies typically have 5+ years of engineering experience, perform customer-facing support, write code, and perform API testing in addition to writing manuals, editing, developing curriculum and learning materials, creating SDK documentation, and language specifications.